What you need :
White flower such as carnation
How to do it :
1. Pour some water and several drops of food dye into the bottom of a jar. Put the flowers in the jar.
2. After a day or so, you will see flecks of colour on the tips of the petals. In about 2 or 3 days, the flowers change colour completely.
Why do the flowers change colour?
Flowers suck up water through their stems into their leaves and petals. You can't usually see this but food dye shows through white petals.
Change flowers with a stick of celery.
Cut the celery into slices to see veins more clearly. The spots of colour show the ends of the veins.
Things you need :
Bicarbonate of soda
An empty litre size bottle
How to do it
1. Put 4 dessert spoons of bicarbonate of soda into the bottle.
2. Measure out 10 dessert spoons of vinegar into the jug. Add a few drops of food dye.
3. Pour the vinegar into the bottle.
4. Stand well back and wait for the explosion.